For Duke Students

The courses you take for transfer credit on study away are added to your record upon your return, so long as you follow the instructions for getting a course approved and reconciling your transfer credit.

Graduating? Your graduation date can be affected if study away transcripts are not received and credit transfers are not completed by specified graduation deadlines.

STEP 1: Obtain Course Approvals for All Courses

It is your responsibility to secure a course approval—preferably before you go, but even if you are abroad—for every course you plan to request transfer credit for.

See: Course Approval Process

STEP 2: Take Enough Credit to Equate to a Full Load at Duke

Neither underloads nor overloads are permitted. Take the normal load—not the minimum load—at the other school in order to transfer a full load back to Duke.

See: Course Load

STEP 3: Earn Transcripted Grades of C- or Better

Even though your transfer course grades will not factor into your Duke GPA, the Registrar will only award credit if you have met the following requirements:

  • Courses must be taken for a grade. You cannot take a course Pass/Fail.
  • You must earn a C- or better in the course.
  • The course can’t be a duplicate of a course you’ve already taken.

STEP 4: Request a Transcript

  • Credit can’t be added to your Duke transcript until you provide a foreign transcript.
  • Generally, programs will not send a transcript automatically, you have to request one.
  • Contact the foreign institution and request that an official, original (not faxed or copied) transcript reflecting your courses and final grades be sent, by mail, directly to:

Duke University
Global Education Office for Undergraduates
Attn: Cathy Penny
Box 90057
Durham, NC 27708 USA 

STEP 5: Await Confirmation in DukeHub

  • Cathy Penny in GEO will work with the Duke University Registrar’s Office to transfer your course credits to your Duke transcript.
  • GEO will follow up with you by email if further clarification is needed and/or when the process is complete.
  • A placeholder “REG 100 Study Away” will appear until your courses have been approved. Once approved, your transfer courses should appear with a “TR” or “TR*” designation.

How will transfer credits appear on my transcript?

Study away courses taken for transfer credit will appear on your Duke transcript in the same fashion as they are listed on the transcript of the foreign university or program provider, but without grades. Grades earned on transfer credit courses will not be factored into your Duke GPA.

If a course is approved as a 100 level (lower level) or 300 level (upper level), the course will appear on the Duke transcript as a specific department elective. If a course is approved as a Duke equivalent, the Duke course title will appear on the Duke transcript.

Credit towards graduation will be designated with the letters “TR". Courses that do not count towards the 34 credit graduation requirement will be designated with “TR*”.

How will the Registrar interpret my foreign transcript?

  • When Duke University receives an official sealed transcript from your study away program, the Registrar will compare it with the Approved Course Database.
  • The Registrar will award credit only for those courses that appear BOTH on the transcript and in the Approved Course Database.
  • For details about how courses are added to the Approved Course Database, see: Course Approval Process.

What happens if there is a credit discrepancy?

  • When the credit value recommended at the time of course approval differs from the transferable amount calculated from the transcript, you will get credit for the lesser of the two.
    • For example, if the course is approved at Duke as one (1.0) course credit (usually equivalent to three, four, or five semester-hours), but the transcript indicates that the course was two semester-hours, then the Registrar will transfer only one-half (0.5) course credit for the course.
    • Likewise, if the transcript indicates that a course could count for two (2.0) course credits, but the course is approved at Duke for one (1.0) course credit, the Registrar will transfer only one (1.0) course credit for the course.

For Non-Duke Students

When you enroll in a Duke-In study away program, you will be registered at Duke as a non-degree student and you will receive credits and grades as if the courses had been taken on Duke’s Durham, NC, campus. Upon successful completion of the program, grades and credits are posted to your Duke transcript. It is your responsibility to work with your home institution to transfer the credits from your Duke transcript back to your school.

Course Approval by Your Home Institution

Contact for assistance with obtaining a course description and syllabus for Duke courses.

Request Duke Transcript

Contact the Duke University Registrar to arrange for a Duke transcript to be sent to your home institution at the completion of the program. Transcripts will NOT be sent automatically by any of the Duke-In programs. Only you may request transcripts from the Duke University Registrar.

Request a Duke Transcript

Cost of Transcripts

All non-Duke students studying on Duke-In programs pay a $40 one-time, lifetime transcript fee, so no further payment is needed.

Hybrid Credit for Non-Duke Students

The credit transfer process for non-Duke students studying on hybrid credit programs can get a bit complicated, but there’s support in place. The best approach is to stay in close communication with your home university and with Duke GEO staff, and to keep all involved parties informed of your plans. Keep copies of all documentation related to the course approval(s) and the credit you earned in the course(s).

Duke Courses

For the Duke courses, you will need to make sure your home university will accept the courses for transfer credit.

Transfer/Host University Courses

For the courses you take at the foreign host university, the approval process is twofold:

  1. First, you’ll have to obtain approval from Duke to put the course on your Duke transcript. See: Course Approval Process
  2. Second, you’ll have to obtain approval from your home university to transfer the course back to your home university’s transcript via the Duke transcript.

To assist non-Duke students studying on a hybrid credit program with credit transfer, our office will make available at semester’s end a Duke transcript with Duke and transfer credits listed, a transcript from the foreign university with grades listed, and, by request, a Duke conversion of the grades listed on the foreign university transcript. For assistance with your Duke transcript, please contact Cathy Penny.