GEO ADVISING OVERVIEW
How It Works
Advising by Region: GEO advisors are assigned to regions. Book an appointment with the advisor assigned to your region of interest.
General Advising: If you haven't narrowed down your interests to a particular region, you can book a general study away advising appointment with Abigail Hall Grubbs.
Required Advising: Advising is required for all Oxford programs and to petition a program. Advising is recommended for all other programs, both Duke-In and Duke-Approved.
WHY SEE AN ADVISOR?
GEO advisors are here to help you figure out study abroad/away and to prepare you for your program. You can meet with an advisor anytime in your four years, and you can come in as many times as you need.
Common topics students discuss with GEO advisors:
- Choosing a Program
- Academics and Course Credits
- Fitting In
- Health and Wellness
- Safety and Security
- Advising appointments are 30 minutes long and are held in Smith Warehouse.
- Book your appointment online using the link beside each advisor's profile.
- You will get a confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org with your appointment date, time, and assigned advisor.
- You will not receive an appointment reminder. Be sure to put it on your calendar!
- If you can't make your confirmed appointment, please email your GEO advisor.
PREP FOR YOUR APPOINTMENT
Make the most of your 30-minute time slot by looking over these handouts before you arrive. If you come in with a basic understanding of study away, you'll be able to ask more specific questions and get customized advice for your individual needs and goals.
- All Programs
- UK & Ireland
GEO has prepared an Application Guide for each of the four types of programs available. The guide summarizes the application process and all the important documents you'll need along the way.
Semester Study Away: Course Credit Basics
Learn how credit earned on a semester study away program factors into progress towards graduation.
UK & Ireland
UK and Ireland Duke-Approved Semester Programs FAQ
This handout is a thorough tool to help you prepare but is not meant to replace an advising appointment. You will benefit the most if you book an advising appointment, and review this information in advance.